Pencils and school stationary

Choosing a school and admissions

Choosing a school can be a really big decision, especially if your child or young person has special educational needs.

The Local Offer  has a list of schools and other specialist settings.

If you’re applying for a place for your child at a mainstream school, you’ll need to apply for a place through Admissions.

For more information around the school admissions code (link opens in a new window) set out by the Government please look at their publication.

If your child has an EHCP

If your child has an EHCP and is going through a phase transfer, you do not have to apply through the normal admissions route. School placement should be addressed at your child's EHCP transition review which should be completed by March in the year of transition.

However, local guidance within Herefordshire and Worcestershire is that you can apply through the admissions process if you choose, in order that your school preference is known to both the Admissions and SEN teams simultaneously. You may discuss this with your caseworker if you have any difficulties.



Choosing a school for a child with SEND

Download the choosing a school factsheet

Contact us

Contact SENDIASS to talk to one of our advisers:

Please ensure that you contact the office of the county in which you live.